Thursday 10 September 2015

Feather master board

Hi Ruth here with this weeks inspirational post which is a step by step. Masterboards are so useful to have around for backgrounds, inchies and in my case when I need a quick card. I know they are not a new thing but I thought I'd set myself the challenge of making one inspired by the current theme and try and stick to one main image....feathers!


I started by using a brayer to cover a piece of card with autumnal shades of translucent fresco paints. I didn't mind some white showing through.


I then assembled all my feather stamps...I found  5 in different sets. Using archival, sepia, red and rusty shades I started randomly stamping with them. I decided there had to be some contrasting images so I also used a text stamp and some circle themed stencils. I used paint through the stencils.


 I then just kept layering the images trying to cover all the board so that wherever you look you can see detail. I do this in case I want to make inchies.


It's difficult to see but I also used some gold embossing powder on some of the images.


 The finished master board may look very busy but that's the result I wanted. Just to show how it can be used, I made a couple of cards.

 I stamped a feather image on each, one in  brown archival and one white embossing enamel and because the background has feathers it echoes it rather nicely.


The background above uses a stencil and white paint mixed with some silk glaze.


This background is splattered silk glaze.


I also stamped some further images which I will use at a later date. There's still plenty of time to join in the current challenge, hopefully you'll be inspired to enter. 

9 comments:

  1. Fabulous master board Ruth, love the gold embossing on it and the feathers are a fantastic image to create lots of detail. Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! And you've got some gorgeous feather stamps there - they look amazing against that background.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I have heard of master boards, your post explains them clearly and inspirational ly. Thank you for sharing.
    Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I have heard of master boards, your post explains them clearly and inspirational ly. Thank you for sharing.
    Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous masterboard Ruth and I love the two examples of using pieces of it! The really light bases really make a focal point of your main image pieces.

    Hugs
    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful textural masterboard - and it's lovely to see how something so busy is actually transformed when you create the pieces with it. Their beauty and simplicity makes it something full of depth and serenity. Great inspiration post.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful textural masterboard - and it's lovely to see how something so busy is actually transformed when you create the pieces with it. Their beauty and simplicity makes it something full of depth and serenity. Great inspiration post.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your masterboard , is a wonderful mix of colours,and love the white shining through , and oh how beautiful with the feathers Ruth , your cards are amazing and the embossing of the feathers so very wonderful !!
    Hugs from Dorthe

    ReplyDelete