Thursday, 16 August 2018

Welcome to today's guest designer, Nikki !

Hello and welcome back ! Today we are welcoming another well known face as our Guest Designer, Nikki Acton !



I am Nikki, from Addicted to Art. I live in Hampshire in the UK, although originally from the Midlands. I have been crafting since late 2013 when a friend introduced me to the world of mixed media, cardmaking and scrapbooking. My style is eclectic but generally a little grungy - although I can be found occasionally being a little cleaner and brighter!




Hi everyone, it is a pleasure to be a guest here today and share a project for the current challenge: Industrial / Grungy.
I decided to alter a coffee tin. I began with a coat of matt medium and then added Deco Art Crackle paint and Texture sand paste – quite randomly in varying thicknesses. Once dry I added some stamping and a little stencilling with texture paste – selecting stencils that were relatively forgiving as stencilling on a curved surface is challenging!
I used Deco Art Media Fluid Acrylics to build up my colours. (Blue Green Light, Transparent Yellow Iron oxide, Quinacridone Gold and Paynes Grey). I stopped after some colour and dried before lightly sanding the stencilled areas to reveal the white texture paste. This allowed the additional colours to be bolder over these areas. Once it was dry I added a little more stamping in archival black ink.



I cut some cogs (Tim Holtz Gearheads die) of different sizes and divided them into 3 piles as I wanted them all to have different colours. I brayed each set with a metallic paint either silver, gold or copper – brayering allowing some of the white card to still show. I then added coloured paint as shown in the photograph below.



Finally to arrange and adhere my cogs. I decide on the front and focussed on this area, also adding a few around the circumference of the tin too. I added a Tim Holtz quote chip which I coloured with Quincridone Gold paint and added some stamping for scratch effects.






Thanks so much for stopping by – I hope you like my grungy tin!
Nikki

Thank you so much Nikki for sharing this fabulous project and inspiration for the current challenge Industrial/Grungy

Thursday, 9 August 2018

Inspiration Post ~ Stamp and Emboss Metal Embellishments

Hi everybody I hope my post today will encourage you to try something that is maybe a little different. I've been playing with my favourite recycled tomato paste tubes, to create some fun metal embellishments . If you can't get hold of one of these then don't worry, as small pieces of thin, pliable craft metal will also work. I  have two different looks for you, one is smart and somewhat sophisticated using thin copper sheet........
The other using a tomato paste tube is just pure crazy fun !
For both projects, I used Tim Holtz's Entomology set of stamps. This is how I got started.......
Firstly, I gathered together my supplies....
I then cut some pieces from the tomato paste tube, as well as some small rectangles of  thin copper sheet. As the tomato paste tubes are heavily printed on the outside, I lightly sanded some the paint away so that I would be able to see the stamped image more clearly.......
After placing the stamped metal onto a piece of grey board, I traced over the image using the small end of an embossing tool. This is how it looked on the reverse side.....
I didn't try to trace over all of the very small detail as it becomes quite difficult as the metal stretches. I continued to use the embossing tool refining the image until I was satisfied. I then used a small pair of scissors and cut around the shape. I then applied drops of alcohol inks to the surface, allowing the colours to mingle.....
I repeated this technique and made several other insect embellishments as well as a couple of leafy flourishes.....
I also embossed the copper sheet in the same way, but instead of adding alcohol ink, I heated it with a cook's blow torch and once it had cooled added some patinating fluid...
In order to show how these embellishments could be used, I created the two different  tags. The heart tag was simply constructed by covering an MDF heart with book paper. A touch of distress ink and a little stamping around the edges completed the base. I then added a circular MDF circle, which had been coloured with Inca Gold paste. I buffed the surface and then adhered the embossed moth, using Cosmic shimmer glue.....
The insect tag, was firstly stencilled with embossing paste, then coloured with  Deco Art Media paints. I also used, Deco Art Antiquing fluid,  and wiped it back, in order to create the cobble stone surface. The Insects were then adhered with Cosmic Shimmer glue.....
I really enjoyed making these little metal insects and can see lots of possibilities for using the same technique with different stamps, I think flowers and leaves would work very well. If you give it a try  I'm sure you'll have as much fun as I've had. Let me know as I'd love to see your results, better still, why not use it to rustle up a project for our current 'Industrial/Grungy' challenge. After all Cec did say she'd like to see some metal! x