Thursday 23 February 2017

Distress Oxide on Canvas Tutorial


Distress Oxide, what a buzz word in the crafting world these days!  Autumn here today to share an experiment with Distress Oxide ink pads on canvas.  I hope you will enjoy this fun tutorial, please pin it for future reference.


First of all, we learned from Tim Holtz that we should not touch our ink pads to other colors of Distress Oxide because the pads will "contaminate" and muddle.  I applied my pads directly to my canvas board in a grid like pattern to prevent this, hence the white space you see.  I used Peeled Paint, Faded Jeans and Vintage Photo.


Next, I spritzed the panel thoroughly and let the colors pool and blend, using my finger as needed to remove any hard lines.


I was able to move the colors along and blend with water until I heat set my panel, which surprised me!  When I had used Infusions onto a canvas panel, they remained water activated throughout, Distress Oxide (DOX henceforth) became more permanent (not completely, but more).  Water flecks did not completely remove the ink as it had with my Infusions experiments.  This made me happy!


I sponged Distress Ink (DI) onto the edges of my panel.  I wanted to add more earthy green to this very yellowy canvas (which came from the Peeled Paint), so I dipped it into some puddled Cracked Pistachio.


What a happy moment...


Now for my favorite new concept, coordinating Distress texture paste!  I have on several occasions tried to color my texture paste with regular DI, but it causes seepage and makes me sad.  Because DOX is not "wet" the same way as DI, I decided to give it a go.  It tints your texture paste ever so beautifully and does not loose vibrance as it dries.  To me, this is revolutionary!  Imagine creating perfectly coordinating texture paste for every project, in any color!  YES PLEASE!


I used Fossilized Amber to bring in some highlights.  It's funny how much it resembles the Peeled Paint in the background, but there are many color variations in DOX, which is part of the magic.


Here is my completed background.  You can see flecks of watery gesso and how that reacted to the colors and stamping in DOX, lightly spritzed to activate the oxidization.  Below is a peek of my finished canvas.  



Find all of the closeups and details on my blog today HERE.  I hope you will have a go at this process and would love to see your finished work.  Leave me a comment with a link.  <3  And remember to submit your project to our Texture, Crackle and Paint challenge before March 1.

31 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to getting my inks, your canvas is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic tutorial using the new distress oxides Autumn, will hop across for more close ups of this exquisite canvas too. Hugs Ruth xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great inky play, thanks so much for sharing, I can't wait to get my hands on these new inks xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great step by step and thank you for all the tips along the way. Great colour combination and fabulous project...Thank you x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great and thanks for sharing your coloured paste idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tutorial Autumn and a fabulous canvas! Wonderful to see how the texture paste can be coloured!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super cool! I love the way you made the paste. I have been playing with my Distress Oxides a lot lately but hadn't thought of that! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's really cool how you coloured the texture paste! It works beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I m looking forward to get my distress oxides. Thanks for the lovely tutorial....its definately going to bee helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for demystifying the Distress Oxides Autumn with this fantastic tutorial! Love your finished piece too ! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great tutorial and awesome tip about using the Distress Oxide with texture paste. Really loved the stencil. Could you please tell me the name of the company. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicie, the stencil is by Art Anthology - www.artanthologyinc.com
      I hope you can find it. It is new and I love it so much! Thanks for your visit and comment. <3

      Delete
    2. Hi Autumn, thank you for stopping by my blog and thanks for the lovely comment. I looked through the Art Anthology website but didn't find the stencil. If you have a chance, I would really appreciate it if you could send me a direct link to the stencil. Thank you for your help.

      Delete
    3. The stencil is completely new and just a try-out stencil. A complete new stencil collection will be online in a few days so check the webshop from Art Anthology again in a few days! (Glad you like my design ;) )

      Delete
  12. Great tutorial and wonderful result Autumn! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. That background is to die for, gorgeous. I don't recognise the stencil either. xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angela, the stencil is by Art Anthology - www.artanthologyinc.com
      I just love the broken pattern and mix of text and splats! ;0 Hugs, Autumn

      Delete
  14. wonderful results autumn - and so much fun - I just got my DIO and will enjoy mixing the colours with paste - thanks so much for your tutorial Autumn - its wonderful! Hugs rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's gorgeous Autumn! I have these at the top of the list now and after seeing your experiments with them I want them even more, lol, thank you for sharing huni Karen xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow beautiful great colour choices, love your art. will follow you and link to your blog your welcome to do the same if you like my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your beautiful canvas, Autumn! Thank you for the much needed tutorial and inspiration on the Oxides! I had a 30 minute play with mine the other day, and ended up just using them for stamping--crafty chicken! Love that stencil; you have a great eye for a good design! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an awesome tutorial and great background you made for your canvas!~And good to know that you can tint your texture paste with DOX, I really like that! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Didn't realize it was that new. I will definitely check the web store in a few days. Thank you for letting me know.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous Autumn! Waiting patiently for my Oxides to get here ,so I can play along!
    Jackie xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for the tutorial Autumn, great tips there! Fabulous creation, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for sharing this tut Autumn x I am still getting to grips with my DOI x
    Hugs Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  23. What great experimentation with the DOX's Autumn - and beautiful results! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love how the Oxides look on the canvas - very cool tutorial - thanks for linking, as I missed it at the time.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Brilliant tutorial and great results Autumn, the coloured texture paste looks fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love your work with DO on canvas, and the addition of the texture paste! I found your site while researching inks/paints on canvas!! What luck! I have a canvas folder, brown, 12x7 (horizontal) used for travel brochures. Would DO and stenciling work on that? I'm afraid to use any papers but the inks might work! Any suggestions?? Thanks.......Judie Eaves

    ReplyDelete