Thursday 12 October 2017

I Heart Steampunk


It is Cec here and I am bringing you the inspirational post today.  I have made a steampunk inspired canvas I am calling I Heart Steampunk.


I started with a flat canvas from Michaels and used Mod Podge to cover it with torn strips of old book paper.


Next I added Molding Paste (Golden) through a Mini Time Travel stencil (TCW) to create a bit of texture and when it was dry I coated the whole canvas with White Gesso (Liquitex).


The next step was to add some ink sprays to the canvas - Gathered Twigs and Tumbled Glass Distress Spray Stain (Tim Holtz) and Burnished Brass Moon Shadow Mist (Lindys).


Some stamping was added next using Jet Black Archival Ink (Ranger) and a stamps from different sets - Grand Tour I and Steampunkesque (IndigoBlu) and Time Flies (Hampton Arts).


Now it was time to put the heart together.  I started with a wooden heart my husband cut for me on the laser cutter.  Then I used Super Heavy Gel Medium (Liquitex) to add a variety of bits and pieces.  There are wooden bits, charms, hardware and buttons.  This is the fun part because you can use whatever you feel like and this is what I felt like this time.

Once the gel medium was dry I coated everything with White Gesso, which was fine because I needed to unify the colour but I was too impatient and it wasn't totally dry before I started the next step and that meant more work for me.  Lesson learned!!


I used Espresso Acrylic Paint (Craftsmart) to cover the heart using a large brush to begin with and then followed up with a little brush to get in the missed nooks and crannies.


Next I sprayed the heart with Gathered Twigs Distress Spray Stain and Moonshadow Mist Burnished Brass spray.  When the inks were dry I rubbed on some Classic and Rose Quartz Treasure Gold wax.


To give the heart a little "patina" I sponged on some watered down Bluegrass Acrylic Paint (Folk Art).  I also sponged a bit of the paint on the canvas.  The heart was then adhered to the canvas using Super Heavy Gel Medium.

I know I probably should have made a project for your inspiration that followed the current challenge theme but I have made so many fall-themed projects lately that I just decided to go rogue.  If you are still relishing in all the lovely fall colours then I encourage you to create something and share it with us.  The current challenge can be found HERE and you have until November 1st to join in.

5 comments:

  1. A fabulous steampunk piece Cec, the colour tones on the heart are really beautiful! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so amazing Cec! Love how you constructed the heart, but that background has me swooning! It almost resembles weathered wood. The stamped imagery, stains and stencil work are a perfect combination. Great inspiration, thanks! Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Gorgeous project Cec! Wonderful rusting. I❤️Your steampunk canvas ! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Cec ! Love your layered background and the heart is a complete knockout ! Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore the background Cec, lovely tones, images and combination of patina colours and just perfect for a rustylicious steampunk heart! Fab! Ruth xx

    ReplyDelete