Thursday 23 June 2016

Welcome to today's Guest Designer, Drea !

Today we are welcoming another fabulous lady as our Guest Designer. Drea, of Drea's Scraps of Inspiration, was the winner of the Trash to Treasure challenge and was invited to join us for a day. So now it's time to hand over to Drea to share her fabulous project.



Hello stampers and stencilers! My name is Drea, short for Andrea, and I'm so honored for this opportunity to be a guest designer for this month's challenge. I discovered this fabulous blog just a few months ago, and have found so much inspiration and talent here.
I'm from Southern California, but have been living in Reno, Nevada for the last seven years. I'm married to my soulmate for almost fifteen years, and we have an amazing 14 year old son. I've always been into arts and crafts, from drawing, painting, sewing, and quilting. I even scrapped as a teenager when the only papers available were 8 1/2" X 11". Then it took a backseat until 2004, and now everything else has taken a backseat. Lol! Although with scrapping I can incorporate most of my favorite hobbies anyway, especially sewing. I've recently been dabbling in mixed media, and love learning new techniques. But my passion is colour, and the brighter and bolder the better, which is what inspired my project for the Floral Frenzy challenge this month! 


I started with some watercolor paper and Lindy's Stamp Gang Magicals, which I ordered by mistake, a few months ago, thinking it was sprays. As I was curious about them, I decided to keep them, and now I want every color. Lol! First I sprayed my paper with water, and used some old toothbrushes to flick the Magicals (Prima Donna Purple, Drop Dead Gorgeous Green, and Sassy Sapphire) in random spots. Then I sprayed the Magicals again with water, and turned my paper around to let the colors bleed into eachother. Just a little bit of powder goes a long way, and produces a wonderful shimmer. 


 I then spritzed on some more water and Lindy's Stamp Gang Sprays (Witch's Potion Purple and Tibetan Poppy Teal). So glad I used watercolour paper!


Once dry, I did some background stamping using black ink and Distress Ink (Picket Fence). I used my older black ink pad, as I wanted the black to fade into the background, and not be so dark and dominant.


Then I used some black gesso with one of my newest stencils from TCW (Mini Screen Print) all over my page, turning and flipping my stencil in different areas.


Once that was dry, I placed the same stencil over the gesso, and used my fingers to apply Stickles (Mermaid and Purple) for some sparkle, which really stands out over the black.


Finally for the Floral Frenzy fun, I took out some flower stamps, and embossed them all in black. The largest flowers were stamped onto white cardstock colored with my Lindy's Stamp Gang sprays (Witch's Potion Purple and Tibetan Poppy Teal) and Prima Donna Purple Magical . Then I used a paint brush with the same colors to detail my flowers even more.
 
 
The other flowers were embossed onto white cardstock. For the green flowers, I also used a paint brush to apply Lindy's Stamp Gang Sprays (Sea Mint Green, Tibetan Poppy Teal) and Drop Dead Gorgeous Green Magical for the centers. The yellow was painted with Distress Ink (Fossilized Amber). The smallest flowers were colored with Distress Inks (Wilted Violet, Blueprint Sketch, and Peacock Feathers), and finished with some Stickles (Turquoise and Starry Night) and bling.
 
 
Thanks again Sue and the rest of the team for having me!
Drea xx
 
A big thank you to Drea for such a wonderful project ! Loads more inspiration here for the current challenge Floral Frenzy which you still have plenty of time to join in !

12 comments:

  1. Drea, Thank you so much for being our fabulous guest designer today. Your project is simply gorgeous!! I love the colours with the black stencilling, all topped off with those beautiful flowers!! Drea, when you have a moment could you pop over to my blog and could I ask you to join, so that I can email you and get your address so that I can send you the hearts. Thank you once again. Toni xx

    can send you the hearts As

    P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Toni! Sorry I was confused as how to contact you. I was looking for an email on your blog, but just now happily joined. Your work is so inspiring! So sweet of you to send me a prize!
    Drea xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Drea! What a beautiful work of art you have created here for your Guest Designer spot! Love the colors and the touches of glitter! I think I have to get me some Magicals! Love your background!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sara! I had a blast making this, and the Magicals really are Magical! Lol!
      Drea xx

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness! What an amazing project Drea! You have nailed this challenge. So happy that the magicals came to you, what a happy mistake! Your work here makes me want to order them for sure! Thanks so much for sharing your time and talent with us today. Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Autumn! So sweet of you, and you won't be disappointed with the Magicals!
      Drea xx

      Delete
  5. I love this Drea - the colours are beautiful and its a fabulous floral frenzy! Love it xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw! Thank you Rachel!
    Drea xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Besutiful colors and a wonderful floral frenzy! Thank you so much, Drea, for sharing this beautiful make with us! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And thanks for having me!
      Drea xx

      Delete
  8. Those magicals certainly look tempting after seeing your gorgeous project Drea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Redanne! I'm hooked on them!
    Drea xx

    ReplyDelete